Thursday, June 6, 2013

Nicaragua 2013

The Team.
 
May 20th - 26th, 2013 Mike and I traveled with a team from our church to Nicaragua for a missions trip. The purpose was to minister via vacation Bible school, sports ministry and daily church services with worship. Dr. Josh Vance took supplies and equipment for medical missions.
 
I was on the VBS team, because we all know I sing in the key of Carrie and coordination isn't always on my side. Additionally, I have zero problem making a fool of myself in public for the sake of a smile on a child, so VBS it is {Bonus: I got to be a dove, flap my wings and leap across the dirt}. Mike lead the sports ministry team.  
 
Monday: We flew into the capital Managua and stayed one night at the Best Western {aka. Nicaragua Hilton}. It was lovely. The four-lane highway and sketchy parking lot we ran across late that night to get to said hotel made my heart pound. God was watching over us.

Tuesday: We traveled the chaotic streets of Managua in search of guitars. The Kendricks' guitars did not make it on the plane out of Springfield. They were delayed by two days. However. This kink in the plan afforded us the opportunity to give two brand new guitars to two deserving souls.

If I was the designated driver to navigate Central American traffic, say your prayers because this is the day we would meet the Lord. That "I Can Only Imagine"... song was going through my head. I cannot understand why there are not folks on the side of the road with tire marks across their chest. It is insane. Additionally, there are no mufflers or emission regulations with mostly diesel engines. Just an observation, not a complaint.

After securing the items we needed to purchase, we headed out of town to Masachapa. This is where we stayed for the week, Hotel Summer. The hotel was very nice considering the area. It was clean, the staff were wonderful, and during the times we had power and water... couldn't have asked for anything else! This trip was fancy camping. I love camping so it worked out great!



Hotel Summer





After checking in Hotel Summer and lunch, we headed out to the church. It was about 30mins out of town in what I would call the woods, San Rafael Del Sur. The dirt road getting to the church caused much excitement as the 60 passenger bus bounced and tilted it's way through the brush. We all laughed and hollered HOLA! out the windows. When we reached the church, the folks had been waiting for us for 2 hours. They were beautiful, greeted us with warm smiles, hugs and some Spanish. I was really emotional. The kids were so excited! Our VBS team quickly came up with some games to play. They tried to teach us a few too. The children immediately accepted us and that surprised me. They loved verde/rojo, our version of red light, green light. Later, we showed them duck, duck, goose or pato, pato, gonso. Even the Mama's joined in, they thought it was awesome and so did I. 



 

This is a game of London Bridge. I gathered. The little guy I'm holding hands with is Evan. I pretty much fell in love with him. In this London Bridge, after the child is locked up, they decide if they will be a melon (with me) or an apple with Evan. Once all the kids choose a side, they start tug-o-war, Surprise!! I was giggling as much as them. The melons won.

Wednesday: We took an walk around town. It was intense. Masachapa is a beach town/fishing market. It tries to be beautiful and there are certainly beautiful elements. The fishing boats are anchored off shore. Locals fish all night, every night, even in lightening storms - true story. People flock to the boats as they come in every morning to buy the fresh fish. People, swordfish longer than this Mama came off those boats! The fishermen detach and haul the motor home everyday. It is their livelihood and it is protected.





So there is all this beauty in the city and then you walk one block back and you come to the river. Y'all this place broke a piece of me slap off. In the photo you see the dam. People were along the top bathing. In the lower part, it is full of trash, filth, and poop. This is were this family was washing their clothes. Washing their clothes. Joyfully.


 
It doesn't smell good in Nicaragua. Just an observation, not a complaint. Some, but not all, burn trash. Once you identify the burning plastic smell, it no longer registers as vomit - just a tip. The smells just sort of waive by you occasionally of smoke and hot dumpster.

 
 
Do you have "Play soccer in Central America" on your Bucket List? Me neither, however when an opportunity comes along that is quality Bucket List material... I have no problem putting forth serious effort. Hence, a quite flattering photo of yours truly. Had the time of my life.
 
Dr. Josh and Natalie worked together and made a make-shift clinic. It was an awesome response of people lining up for treatment. I was not in the same area working with them, however I hear it was amazing. He gave chiropractic adjustments, RESET A BROKEN ARM, and they gave a short First Aid demonstration teaching them how to use all the medical supplies that were donated...among additional awesomeness. The best part, was Dr. Josh's testimony at church when we returned. His powerful words stay with me - As tough as it is in Nicaragua, I would not bring all the people of Nicaragua home with me. I would take all of YOU to Nicaragua. Go experience this.     
 
 
Here are some photos from the vacation Bible school lessons. These children are the Webster's definition of patient and attentive. We had zero problems holding a captive audience full of the best mannered children. I did my best to relay that sentiment to the mothers of the children. Not sure it translated. Did I mention my Spanish skills were an epic fail?
 
 
But a profound thing happened, we totally communicated without words.
 
 
While I was playing with school age beauties, Mike was on this baseball field having his own awesome experiences. It turns out there is a local semi-pro baseball team that showed up to play ball with us! Sergio was throwing people out at first from deep center field. Mike had the opportunity to work with him for a short time on pitching. He picked up the curve ball in a snap. In fact, some of them took a video of him because someone in our church is affiliated with baseball scouts.
 
While some of our team was playing ball, Sara and I determined we were the "Muchachas de Agua" with these gorgeous ladies!! These girls were our Velcro. When we were standing together, they wrap their arms around our waist. Oh my heart. We had so much fun cheering and giggling with these sweethearts. Here is another helpful tip, sand fleas are on the baseball field, said my bleeding legs. I had no idea it was happening, HA!  
 
 
 
 
The children less than five years old were pretty skittish of the gringos. They would smile and then hide behind Mama's skirt. If I would reach out to touch them at the beginning they'd be all, Nugatory Ghostwriter and run away.

Until this day... I'm blinking back tears even thinking about it! The sweetheart below is Haley. Haley let me hold her the last day. Haley is the same size as Lauren. Haley wasn't wearing panties. This mama's heart was broken, over panties.



 





 
The livestock are in a bad way. I need to mention this time of year in Nicaragua is like our August, so they are coming out of the heat of summer, moving into the rainy season. Y'all. These poor, poor animals. Every hip bone, all the ribs, nose down looking for anything to eat. Grazing burnt ditches. Calves we misunderstood as goats. Nothing to eat. Nothing. But they are still working them. That was hard to take.

 
But what was more difficult was watching these children. These children who are raised in unbelievable conditions, incredible heat, extreme poverty... and have joy.


These beautiful smiles live in these homes.

 
Experiences like this make me hit the reset button on my life. Mike and I both agree, this was one of the most difficult things we have ever done and we'd go again in a heartbeat. Please go. Please see the way other people live with so much less than us and have abundantly more joy.


1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. Needed this today...both kids are sick...i have puck soaked towels (& hair) with a dryer that dont work. Seriously not a big deal...im not washing clothes in a dirty river. Pull it together Kristi. love u Carrie

    ReplyDelete