Sunday, January 5, 2014

The House.

The house that is teaching me, refining me, priming me for awesome. The house that has not sold, the house that is a burden, the house that God has a purpose and plan was quite a cast member in a Soap Opera yesterday.

The weather forecast several inches of snow with negative lows. We allocated 2 hours of time to work and get back before the storm was supposed to start. 4.5 hours. Four and a half hours of finding problem after problem in the duration of this episode. A nice Arctic blast greeted our cheeks in opening the front door. It was colder inside the house than outside, a nice balmy 30 something degrees.  We could literally see our breath. Mike activated MacGyver mode trouble-shooting the thermostat, water lines and furnace. I started... changing light bulbs. Right? I knew from his eyebrows I needed to stay out of the way for a minute. He quickly discovered the problem surpassed our skills and tools. I immediately thought we should call the HVAC service. Mike reminded me it was Saturday evening and the house is in the middle of nowhere. I encouraged him to call, God whispered it to me. The repair man not only returned the call within an hour, he was ready to come on out to the house. Hallelujah. He replaced a gas valve and it was done. Triple Hallelujah. Trusting His voice.

Meanwhile I started scrubbing the shower with steel wool and insane chemicals. I forgot my rubber gloves. I messed up, tried to turn the water on, something was frozen, a seal broke and the shower head started dripping water on me as I was scrubbing. In a 30 degree house. The water leaking just got worse and all over the floor so I had to run to town for a shower rod and curtain. Frustrated. Mad. As my hands were stinging with the chemicals, steel wool and freezing cold a thought occurred to me. Scrubbing this terrible shower is just like the sin in our life. I was working so hard to clean it, it was gross and miserable. But. When we come into His presence, ask for forgiveness for this sin....

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.


Praise God for the blood of Jesus!! There are pieces of me and my sin that look just like that nasty hard water and soap scum stained shower, but His Grace is enough. It covers me, my grime, my shame and seeing it all in that stupid shower was a perfect glimpse of a perfect promise.

We worked hard and managed to complete many jobs, but there is more to do. The carpet is trashed, it has to be replaced. The walls and ceiling need to be repainted. I need to hold a bake sale and donate plasma to raise funds. I'm overwhelmed looking at Lowe's and Home Depot for pricing, products and where in the tar-nation to even begin.

But this is where I stop and choose to Praise and Not Pout.
We got to the house in perfect timing to have the heat fixed for the cold weather.
The HVAC man. The fix.
The pipes did not burst.
The well pump did not freeze.
The shower revelation.
The problems are fixable.
He held off the terrible weather, we traveled home safe.
The delicious fried gas station dinner I shared with my problem solving husband.
The problem solving husbands' calm voice to get focused on a plan rather than the crisis.
We have friends and family committed to helping, encouraging and praying.

The more we have to wait, the more we have to finance, the more excited I am to see God's plan. Am I also weary? yes. Am I giving up? Never. God cares for the sparrows, He cares when our heater is broken and sends help in time of need. God cares for you too.

1 comment:

  1. This is so good, Carrie! You're an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete