Friday, September 18, 2009

i heart my job

In a previous post, I told you a little about my job, how I’m affiliated with Missouri wine and grapes through the VESTA program. Well approximately 2/3 of my time is with that program and the other 1/3 goes to the Agriculture department. That was part of the deal for me to take this new job - I would still get to work with some of the same great stuff that goes on out here.
Perfect example: School Tours. The past two days at work have been bliss, crazy funny chaotic bliss. Each fall we invite local Kindergartner’s, Pre-School, Head Start and Early Childhood Center’s to tour the Fruit Station. We set up learning stations and rotate the children through them. John brought an observation hive of honey bees. Steve and Randy talked about the apple orchard, put an apple picking basket on a volunteer and then ran the Hydro Ladder to demonstrate picking apples from the tops of trees. We have Miss Stephanie from Missouri Conservation give a presentation on fur-bearing native varmints - always a favorite. We set up a photo op, looked at bug collections, give them a Dixie cup of water and send them home with a Gala apple. Over the past two days, 526 kids, teachers, and parents walked through our program!
Here are a few things we overheard this children say over the past two days.
-”I’m A-Hoo-Chick to bees, but if they’re in the glass, I’m ok.”
-”Where’s the King bee?” “Are there Princesses too?”
-”Wanna hear somethin’ funny? My name’s Bee” and it really was... Beloved.
-”I just can’t do this anymore” a little girl referring to sitting on hay bales in a little skirt.
-While holding up two skunk pelts, one striped and one spotted, Miss Stephanie asked, “What’s this ones’ name?” A little boy yelled out, “Scared Skunk!”
-Miss Stephanie asked the children, “What animal rhymes with water?” while holding up an otter pelt. The children pointed to it in her hand and said, “That One!”
-”I have a wedgie” random announcement.
-John asked, “What do bee’s do?” the first answer, “Pollinate!!” smart little kiddos. We think a few of them watched the Bee Movie this year.
-Miss Leslie offered a compliment to a group of students, “You guys look like good listeners” a little boy said, “We are good listeners. That’s what we do!” with his arms crossed and a confirming head nod.
-I was showing the children a large spider in the garden that had recently caught a bug in the web. I said, “Oh look she’s eating a bug for breakfast! Did you eat bugs for breakfast?” The children all said, “NO!” One little boy said, “I had waffles.” another little boy said, “Actually, she’s sucking the blood out of that bug.” Right.
I love my job, I love the people I work with and I love working in Agriculture. Don’t take for granted the groceries and produce you (and I) casually throw in the shopping cart next time you go to the store. Be thankful to God our Provider and the hands that prepared it for you!



The buses drove through the farm with a tour guide on board


Miss Stephanie and an unlucky red fox

Some of the teachers asked us if they could leave the volunteer kid with us
This is lovely assortment of people I get to work with from grad students (kevin & sonja)to the field crew (erin, kyla, rachel and bre) to one of my office buddies, Leslie and a master gardener volunteer, miss nellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment