Wednesday, July 21, 2010

a little about the day we met...



Sunday was my birthday. We stayed home, Mama and Jenny came out to celebrate. Mike made an awesome smoked pork and we had a fabulous day. Monday I went to work and knew I had overdone it. I felt like crap-o-la. I called the dr to see if I could get an appointment. The evil nurse totally vetoed the appointment and didn't care about me. I'm exaggerating, however I didn't get to go and therefore cried hard (I told on her and she got in trouble for that. heehee) I went home and continued to feel bad but wasn't having any sort of labor. Well that all changed at 2:40am. A bad contraction woke me up. I thought, "Ooo that was good one." and went back to sleep. 8 minutes later another one. Hmm. 8 minutes later came numero three. I woke Mike up at 3, he was all confused and couldn't figure out why on the earth I was poking him. He showered, we called the Percival's phones about 22 times to have Kim come over to be with Beau. She was on her way. Meanwhile the contractions were now every 4 minutes. YIKES. We left before Kim got there, but passed her in the road close to the house, there wasn't any more time to wait!! Plus, the low water bridge was closed because of the rain AND a tree had fallen across the road! We had to go the back way to town which means an extra mile of gravel road and a curvier highway. I'm not sure I could accurately describe the pain and fear of having that baby girl on Hwy 60. It wasn't good. However, my Superman came through. He drove So Fast, but So Careful at the same time. When we got to 60, he put on the flashers and floored it. Contractions were 3 minutes apart. PRAISE the GOOD LORD I had a long conversation with roommate Jenny the day before about managing labor pain. She opted to give birth sans medication and actually educated herself on the subject - genius idea even if you know you'll have an epidural. That was straight from the Lord because I would have been in serious trouble without that talk. We made it to National and as we're flying down the road, each stoplight turns green as we're whizzing through, another blessing straight from above. Superman basically carried me into the St Johns ER because well, he's Superman and I could no longer walk, or sit, or do anything really. The St Johns staff is Amazing. They literally ran me to Labor and Delivery. Now I'm what you call "Modest" and this time, that was actually honored. I can't sing their praises enough. I made it all the way to a 9 by myself before the epidural and I've never been so thankful for drugs in my entire life. We waited for Dr Lehnert to come to work, he put his Cardinals hat on the shelf, chatted briefly about my early morning surprise, I pushed once and on Tuesday, May 18th 2010 Lauren was in my arms at 6:36am. She was 6lbs 13oz and 20 1/2 inches tall. Mike and I actually didn't say anything for a while because we were literally in shock. I was preparing myself for another marathon pushing session (3hrs with Beau. seriously) Dr Lehnert said, "and that is how you have a baby Miss Carrie. Congratulations!"

1 comment: