Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Preschool Rocks!

My little Bear is going to school! Preschool that is.. and he'll be going for the next two years. We decided to send him to Kindergarten as a 6 year old since his June birthday parked him in the middle of age cutoffs. This year he's going two days a week to warm up and hopefully fall in love with school.

We've been so excited for this day to come. I had beautiful visions of a fabulous 1st day of preschool morning, complete with a freshly packed lunch full of all of his favorite things, a special breakfast date with Mommy, walking him up to his room, sending him off with a big Bear Hug!!


But what really happened... I did not sleep well at all the night before. All my stress, anxiety and excitement is reflected in my sleep - always as been. Couldn't sleep, woke up late. Lauren the Early Bird wakes up with me. She immediately senses something is happening, in which she will be left out and commences Kitty Cat tactic. This is her favorite maneuver in stalling, distracting and overall attempt to destroy all plans to hurry and get something done. Kitty (aka Lauren) actually weaves through my legs as a I walk, sits on my feet, abruptly stops and/or starts walking at inopportune moments. She picks fights with Beau, gets in trouble, wants to "hold you" and throws in an occasional hissy fit. As I was blow drying my hair upside down, she was standing under my hair trying to have a conversation about "hair dryers are hot Mommy!". Oh Kitty. I love you, your tactics and my lessons in patience.

Beau wakes up with catty-whompus hair. He needs a haircut, so I know it won't be laying down straight with water, gel and prayer. He needs a bath. For whatever reason - I decide its a good idea to put him in the shower to bathe himself. Awesome. He is totally not going with it. Oh well. Get him out, get him ready for school with now beautiful hair. Did I mention I woke up late?

The freshley packed lunch full of all of his favorite things did happen, complete with a turkey sandwich, kiwi, strawberries, goldfish crackers, a note from Mommy and a Dove dark chocolate. When I picked him up, one of the first things he said, "I found that chocolate Mommy!" with the biggest smile.

We're all finally ready to go, the clock reads - not enough time for the special breakfast date - but too early to go straight to school. Boo. Plan B - Casey's gas station. ugh. BUT - he was totally thrilled, he picked out a special treat - a Star Wars light saber with M&M's in the bottom. I picked up powdered donuts and chocolate milk. Yay!!



It took all of 3 minutes to drive to preschool. We still have a lot of time to fill and Beau was so excited to go inside. We go in, find a potty. He decides he wants a donut, we're sitting in the foyer of a beautiful church with navy blue carpet. In one of my biggest accomplishments, we did not ruin the foyer, or navy carpet with my terrible choice of white powdered donuts. However he gave me the hugest thumbs up and sparkly smile. Worth it. We got to Facetime Daddy for last minute loves and walked upstairs. The teachers in our classroom weren't quite ready for the littles so we're wondering around a bit more, which was a little awkward and Beau's getting antsy.

Once they were ready, he literally ran into the classroom. He paid me no mind, I went over a got a hug and he said, "This will be the best day ever!" Yesss, thank you Lord! I didn't even get teary eyed, I am so completely excited for Beau to have this opportunity.

When I picked him up he had a lot to say. They looked at earthworms with a magnifying glass - "they're all connected with circles Mom." In the gym they have 2 trampolines and those bouncy balls with the handles you sit on! They played music from Disney Jr. There was one girl who didn't want to share the ponies, but she changed her mind and made a good decision. He liked the girl with big bubble cheeks best (we talked about making sure we find out her name instead of referring to her sweet cheeks). He doesn't know anyone's name and asks me all the time if he can go back.

We are celebrating this big milestone for our little family. I hope and pray that Beau continues to have a great experience and attitude toward learning. Preschool Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment